When you first find out someone you know has tried to take their own life, you might feel lots of different things. Shock, grief, hurt, anger, guilt and even numbness – however you’re feeling is okay.
Immediately after a suicide attempt:
- Call your local mental health crisis assessment team or go with them to the emergency department (ED) at your nearest hospital.
- If they are an immediate physical danger to themselves or others, call 111.
- Stay with them until support arrives.
- Remove any obvious means of suicide they might use (e.g. guns, medication, car keys, knives, rope).
- Try to stay calm and let them know you care.
- Keep them talking: listen and ask questions without judging.
- Make sure you are safe.