After more than a year of development, we are excited to launch our new website!
As more people turn to online tools and resources for support, we wanted to ensure our website made our content as accessible as possible.
- New navigation - we now have drop-down menus to help you find important pages fast
- Smart search - we have the latest in smart search technology that provides lightning fast results that improve over time
- More context, better layout - we have re-written all of our content to provide more context and understanding, while also laying out pages more effectively
- Richer content, simpler access- we have included more rich content to make our website more engaging, while working hard on how you get to the information to make copy more digestible
- Improved accessibility - we have incorporated a number of accessibility features to make the website easier to use for a wider range of audiences
- Fast and scalable - we’re using a number of technologies to make the website super snappy
You can read through our in-depth notes below on the full journey.
Try using the new navigation or smart search to find the content you’re after.
We have also dropped in hundreds of redirects from our old website, and you can Contact Us if there is something missing that you cannot find.
Lastly, our old website is still accessible over at archive.mentalhealth.org.nz, in case you need to find an old resource.
This is just the beginning, and we are excited to be working with our digital partners at RIVER to continually enhance and evolve our new website. We will be adding new content, adding new features, and making the search results smarter, to ensure our content is more accessible than ever!
For us at the Mental Health Foundation, it’s a big deal that we are able to support hundreds of thousands of Kiwis every year through our online tools and resources on our website. As more people turn to online tools and resources for support, we want to ensure we were doing everything we can to make our website content as accessible and as relevant as possible.
To make this happen, we worked with our digital partners at RIVER to embark on a journey of designing, developing, and re-writing content for our new website.
We wanted to provide a great online experience that made our content more accessible and enjoyable than ever, to support our vision of a society free from discrimination, where all people enjoy positive mental health & wellbeing. To achieve this, we made it our goal to:
- Make our online content more accessible than ever
- Make it easy for online audiences to find the content they need
- Ensure our content is easy to digest and enjoyable to read
- Build a website that can continue to grow and evolve over time
- Make a difference that supports people’s lives
A website for everyone
From tradies to parents and whānau, to tamariki and professionals and everyone in-between - our first important challenge was to build a website that all of Aotearoa would be able to use.
Over a thousand pages
When we combine a website for everyone with the fact we have more than a thousand pages of content, we find ourselves with a hefty challenge:
Making it easy for a diverse range of people to find the content they need across more than a thousand pages - all without breaking a sweat…
To achieve this, we knew we would need to combine a great navigation experience alongside powerful search, and effective links between relevant content within the site.
With such a diverse audience, we followed an evidence-based approach for our website architecture and design. This included focus groups, questionnaires, prototyping, and a raft of tests and feedback.
We then incorporated the latest technologies and processes that have been proven to work effectively in the areas we needed, that would scale over time as our new website continues to grow and evolve.
Overall we knew making a great website for everyone would be a tough challenge, though we have worked hard to make a positive difference for the widest range of audiences we could.
Honing in on our key challenges of a website for everyone and showcasing huge amounts of content, we incorporated key features aimed at making content easy to find, accessible, and digestible.
We now have a number of drop-down hover menus to help showcase key pages
These hover menus can incorporate a range of content on our website - from pages and news posts through to stories, mental health conditions, and more
This sits alongside a dedicated sub-menu, to ensure key pages such as News, Suicide Prevention and Suicide Loss are always visible
This has been designed for people that have an idea of the content they’re after, and returning visitors to the website
These menus are also extremely easy for us to update, as we continue to get feedback on what’s important and needs to be easier to find
We have deployed the latest in smart search technology that helps people find near-instant results across all of our content, that gets smarter over time
The search results learn from interactions to help provide better results as more people use the site
Advanced filtering also allows people to narrow down their searches to find more relevant results
This has been designed for people who aren’t quite sure of the content they are after, and just want to start searching using keywords
More context, better layout
Some of they key feedback we received from our old website was around a lack of context for some of the key pages
Updating more than a thousand pages hasn’t been easy, though we have worked through updating all of our content to provide more context and understanding where possible, while also laying out pages more effectively
We have also worked hard to include relevant links to other part of the website and external links wherever possible, to help people find content
Richer content, easier access
While rewriting our content we have incorporated rich content and media wherever possible to keep the site more engaging and enjoyable to use
We have also worked hard on headings, white-space, and how you find information to make content more digestible for a wider audience
We have incorporated a number of accessibility features to make the website easier to use for a wide range of audiences, whatever devices they’re using
We have also worked through a number of accessibility tests such as colours, contrast and typography (even colour-blindness) to make the website work for as many people as possible
Fast and scalable
- Built using the same technology that powers some of the latest web-apps, we’re using a number of advanced technologies to make the website super snappy, even as we continue to add more pages
- With thousands of online visitors every day, it was important that we had a website that was super fast, no matter how many people were visiting
- Another key feature of the website is having the ability for our team to edit and manage more content than ever
- This allows us to keep adding and refining content across the website as we provide you with the tools and resources you need
With both a new website and new content, there are a number of key changes for existing online audiences to be aware of.
We took this opportunity to work with RIVER and update our digital brand identity, which incorporates a new look and feel
This was done to align a number of changes our brand has had over the years, while appealing to a broader range of audiences and improving content and making things easier to find
We have updated how our website search works to provide more relevant results that improve over time, and also follow the same design layout as the rest of our website
This was done to help people search by keywords to help them find the information they need.
All of our content has been re-written, as we aim to make content more engaging and digestible
- Under the hood we are utilising a number of new technologies to improve speed and performance of the website, making our content more accessible than ever
You can now use the new navigation or search to find key content you are looking for, and we have also incorporated over 300 redirects from our old website.
You can find new links to our most popular pages and sections here:
Community Support Groups
Launching our new website is only the beginning. Alongside running some amazing campaigns and making a difference in the community, we plan to keep improving and evolving our website.
We have a range of new features planned out, and we are continuing to take on more feedback as we work toward providing the best online experience we can.
Alongside this, we continue to update and improve key pieces of content on our website everyday, as we continue to make the site as enjoyable and engaging as possible.
A good website is always evolving, and we would love to hear from you if there is any feedback you would like to provide. Feel free to contact us and leave a message.