This first section of this privacy notice sets out the information that applies to everyone we interact with.
Later sections of this policy set out matters that are specific to different categories of people we interact with (clients, donors, volunteers, visitors to our website, visitors to other websites, suppliers and other companies).
We only collect personal information where this is necessary to carry out our functions. You do not have to provide your personal information to us. However, we may not be able to effectively provide you with services or carry out our functions if you do not provide us with the information we need. We may collect personal information about you either directly from you or from third parties such as contractors, service providers and suppliers who are acting for or on behalf of us, in accordance with the Privacy Act and Health Information Privacy Code 2020. We may generate additional personal information about you when we carry out our functions e.g. we may note a phone call with you in our systems.
Information use and retention
We will only use and share your personal information for the purposes it was collected or generated, or directly related purposes. This may include but not be limited to:
- provide you with services and products;
- seek and receive donations from you;
- engage you as a volunteer;
- engage with you at our community events;
- respond to communications from you, including feedback or opinions;
- process your application for employment with us;
- invoice you and collect money that you owe us;
- undertake research or statistical analysis (on an anonymised basis);
- comply with health and safety policies (when you visit our premises);
- use it for any other purpose authorised by you; and use it for our own internal business purposes including record keeping, reporting and improving/enhancing our services, activities and systems.
How to contact us to ask a question about your personal data
If you would like to contact us, including to request a correction of your personal information or removal from our communications or systems, please notify us of any changes to your personal information as soon as possible so we can ensure your personal information is accurate and current.
Contact our Database and Systems Team Lead:
- email: Fundraising@mentalhealth.org.nz
- phone: 09 623 4810 ext 862
- post: Database and Systems Team Lead, PO Box 10051, Dominion Road, Auckland 1446, New Zealand
Besides collecting information directly from you, we can also obtain personal information from third parties such as fundraising providers or data aggregators where you have authorised them to do so.
Your personal information will only be used by us to:
- engage with you as a prospect or current donor including to respond to your enquiries, communicate with you, and provide you with information that you have requested;
- provide you with other information (including about the work of The Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand and other opportunities to contribute through volunteering, events and fundraising campaigns). We will provide this to you by mail, phone, email, or SMS unless you have explicitly requested to opt-out of such forms of communication.
- improve and enhance your experience as our donor; and
- inform our own internal business purposes including record keeping, reporting and improving and enhancing our fundraising, services, activities and systems.
Your personal information is stored in dedicated Fundraising Management Systems. Only staff who require access to your personal information to provide our services and administrative support staff have access to these systems.
We may delete or anonymize some data automatically if you have not engaged in a certain timeframe.
Personal information will be shared when we have your consent. However, information system technology vendors and our third-party contractors may have access to your personal information to provide information you have requested, or we think you may be interested in.
Data can be deleted whenever you like. We are obliged to keep your donation records at least 7 years by IRD https://www.ird.govt.nz/managing-my-tax/record-keeping We may delete or anonymize some data automatically after a set amount of time, such as activity logs
Visitors to the website
In addition to the information collected about your use of our website (see below), we collect personal information submitted by you through forms on our website, we also track website usage information (apps, browsers & devices) and activity (e.g. views and interactions with contents or ads) including when you are:
- contacting us using the contact form;
- donating to us using our donation form (for more information on Donors see above); and
- signing up to our newsletters.
Google Analytics and cookies
We collect statistical information about your visit to our websites to help us improve it via third party tools such as Google Analytics.
Through those tools, we may collect the following:
- your IP address
- search terms you used
- pages you accessed on the website and the links you clicked on
- date and time you visited the website
- referring website (if any) through which you clicked through to our website
- your operating system (e.g. Windows XP, Mac OSX)
- type of web browser you use (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox)
- other incidental matters such as screen resolution and the language setting of your browser.
You may opt-out from having Google Analytics collect your information by disabling cookies in your browser, or by installing the Google Analytics Opt-out browser add-on.
We will use the information collected via these analytics tools to:
- understand how our website is being used;
- gain insights about how we can improve the functionality and user experience of our website; and
- understand browsing behaviour to give you a better experience whilst visiting our sites.
Visitors to our external websites
Our other websites have their own privacy notices that provide more detail about what we collect, how we use, share and store your personal information.
If you would like to change how often you hear from us or do not wish to receive further communication from the Mental Health Foundation, please email our supporter services team at email@example.com, or mail PO Box 10051, Dominion Road, Auckland 1446, New Zealand.