- Based at the heart of Maungawhau, Mt Eden (Auckland)
- Flexible working arrangements
- Summer hours (half-day Fridays during daylight savings)
- Vibrant and modern office space
- Competitive salary
The Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand (MHF) is a charity that works towards creating a society free from discrimination, where all people enjoy positive mental health and wellbeing.
We are looking for an experienced senior policy practitioner to lead our two-person Policy and Advocacy team. This pivotal leadership role will initiate the collaborative development of policy analysis, and the co-creation of commentary, positions, submissions and policy papers alongside our many stakeholders and the wider MHF team.
Along with leading the team, our new Policy and Advocacy Manager will also build strategic relationships and alliances (to contribute to advocacy aims), contribute to core policy and advocacy work and maintain intelligence on the legislative and political environments that impact mental health and wellbeing.
This role will work closely with the Chief Executive in their role as spokesperson, taking a public health approach to provide high-quality advice on policy and advocacy priorities.
Your leadership and collaboration skills and experience will be put to great use as you lead, develop and coach the team to build on their skills, and contribute towards creating an Aotearoa where all people thrive.
If you have an understanding of health issues in Aotearoa New Zealand and the impact changes in social, economic, political and environmental policy can have on those issues, we would love to hear from you.
To be successful in the role you will have:
- An understanding of public health/population health approaches as they apply to mental health and wellbeing
- An understanding of Te Tiriti o Waitangi, and how to actively support its practical application
- A willingness to grow and extend your knowledge of te ao Māori, tikanga Māori and te reo Māori
- An understanding of the importance of consulting with and heroing the voices of people with lived experience of mental distress or illness
- A track record of executing operational management disciplines and practices associated with budget management, project planning and delivery, and personnel management
- A track record of delivering outstanding and insightful policy analyses, engaging in policy consultation, building strong external relationships and representing policy positions
- An ability to manage a range of strategic and operational initiatives.
If this sounds like your experience, we’d love to hear from you!
What we offer:
Our vibrant, open plan office is based in the heart of Mt Eden. We offer a positive, supportive, friendly and collaborative team culture. Flexible working arrangements, including summer hours (half day Fridays during daylight savings!). Professional and personal development opportunities are encouraged and supported. The MHF works within its organisational values of:
- Ōritetanga - fairness and equity
- Tika, Pono, Aroha - respect, truthfulness, compassion
- Whanaungatanga - trusted relationships, whānau centred
- Te Pae Tawhiti - innovation
- Toitū – sustainability
This a new role sitting within the Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand’s Policy and Advocacy team and reporting to the General Manager Marketing and Operations.
The salary will be commensurate to the successful candidate's skills and experience for the role.
The Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand actively promotes the articles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi. We value the expertise of people with lived experience of mental distress or illness – or tāngata mātau-ā-wheako - and we are an EEO employer.
If you would like to apply for this role, please complete this application https://mhfnz.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=55, and there you will find a copy of the job description.
Closing date for applications is Friday, 22nd October at 5pm.